Monday, September 20, 2010

Skinny Jean Guilt

I just bought--and wore out in public--my first pair of skinny jeans. And I felt pretty good about it; so good, I'll probably wear them again tomorrow.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Does anybody else REALLY remember skinny jeans? There were visible socks, there was acid wash, there were pre-made rips--and we do one of those three to our 13-inch ankle widths already.

I was flipping through next month's ELLE (I very rarely do, it's all ads, but I won't pass up a $4 subscription to very many magazines) and there, on this non-ad page, were two models dressed in outfits reminiscient of the some-month 1987 issue of Seventeen I have somewhere around here, with the blurb, "Chloe's western prep collection is so 1985--and we're crazy for it!" I am NOT. What happened to mocking 80s dress?

I have a theory: the fashion designers nowadays are kids of teens and 20-, 30-somethings of the 80s. They got their parents' hand-me-downs; flipped through old photos of their parents' parties. Everything's a throwback and, personally, I hope I'm not too old to wear 30" flares when they come back around.

2 comments:

Emily said...

i enjoy skinny jeans.. i have several pair now. i also have a soft spot for leg warmers sssshhhhh dont tell anyone. how i u get a $4 magazine subscription?

beDecent said...

I'll hook you up in the spring when the chance comes around. =) it's thru my work, a sister company.