Monday, June 29, 2009

Stonewall Riots - Texas Raids


Photo: Patrick Michels

Is it a bit of irony that cops in Fort Worth raided a gay bar the night before the 40th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots, the night before the Million Gay March of Texas? Straight guys, like these cops, always try to substantiate beating on gay guys by saying they were hit on: "Police said two intoxicated individuals made sexually explicit moves toward officers and a third grabbed a TABC agent’s groin" (The Houston Chronicle). One arrestee was left with a brain injury.

It is just absolutely sickening how little progress this country as a whole has made towards recognizing gay rights... I am waiting for the day when "rights" are no longer differentiated by the group, as we are all human. Human rights should be applicable to, well, HUMANS. (Shouldn't that be "humen"?) There ARE rights afforded to humans, but the actual rights afforded to the individual depends on if you are gay, straight, white, black, male, female, transexual, transvestite, yellow, brown, polygamist... How can that actually be okay?

This world is just so wrong. I hate it.

1 comment:

Emily said...

haha humen.. Stupid English language! I agree with you. Speaking of rights, I was recently the victim of discrimination when the bar manager at Lfall told me the reason he would not hire me as a bartender two years ago was because I was pregnant and "No one wants to see a pregnant person behind a bar." Completely illegal. I'm deciding what I am going to do-- perhaps take him to court? perhaps write an article about my experience and get it published in the prestigious "Falmouth Enterprise"? Got any ideas?

Whie I'm on my rant, I think pregnant people should have double rights, since they're two humen.